Like a lot of people yesterday I tried to login to the Playstation Network to play some Modern Warfare 2 and received an error message. I thought it was my internet connection and moved on to play some God of War 2 offline. Little did I know that the sky was falling.
Sony explanation and updates after the jump.
Sony says that they are working on the error but as news slowly comes out it looks like the problem might be a hardware issue. Apparently the internal clock is having some problems and people’s Playstations are setting themselves back to 1999. The problem is affecting every model PS3 except the Slim.
Sony Playstation – As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.
We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.
* The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
* When the user tries to sign-in to the PlayStation Network, the following message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.
* When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game.”
* When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”
* Users are not able to playback certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.
We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.
As mentioned above, Please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologise for any inconvenience caused.
I’ll post updates here as they come in.
UPDATE – It seems that Sony has fixed the problem but if if you didn’t sync your trophies to the internet you might have lost them. I am going to check mine when I get home. As of right now there is no official word from Sony as to what happened or how they fixed it.