This year marked the second time I was able to go to San Diego Comic-Con, though it was the first time I actually had my own badge. I popped my SDCC cherry back in 2009 when I was able to get in with my friend’s badge because he left early.
This year, like last time, I was completely unprepared for the sheer amount of awesomeness I was about to witness at the biggest nerd-culture convention in the world. Check out my pictures and highlights from this year’s San Diego Comic-Con after the jump. I’ll also have an official cosplay feature up as soon as I get the pics from Craig.
My friend Craig (of Craig’s Cosplay Corral) and I were only able to get one ticket each for Sunday (the last day of Comic-Con) via the resale special they had going on a couple months ago. Sunday is considered the worst day of SDCC, since most of the big announcements were already made and all the exclusive toys have been sold out, but beggars can’t be choosers. So we booked our hotel and drove down Saturday afternoon.
Even though we weren’t able to get into the actual con on Saturday there was still a ton to see. There were a lot of people walking around the Gaslamp Quarter in full costumes and we were able to witness a giant zombie walk. For me, the highlight of Saturday was having Nick Kroll walk past me about 3 feet away. I yelled, “forever unclean!” at him and he laughed (The League is one of my favorite shows on TV). Unexpected moments like that are what makes Comic-Con so great. That and giant dragons…
Later that night Craig and I did some bar hopping and ended up at a bar called Geek And Sundry where they had a costume contest hosted by Linda Le aka Vampy. It was a lot of fun talking to other people with similar interests all night (e.g. comics, video games, and Boba Fett). Everyone was in good spirits and I made some cool new friends.
After sleeping in a bit on Sunday (due to a bit of a hangover) we made our way into the Con. I had no interest in seeing any of the panels so I pretty much spent the entire day in the exhibit hall. As you might expect, it was a fucking zoo! Since there was too much cool shit to go into I’ll just give you my personal thoughts and highlights of the day.
– Seeing in the PS4 in person
– Holy shit DuckTales: Remastered looks gorgeous!!
– Ryse: Son of Rome looks beautiful but I don’t really care
– I can’t wait for Beyond: Two Souls
– NECA has some great Predator and Aliens toys coming out this year
– I want everything Sideshow Collectibles makes especially the white Boba Fett prototype figure
– Mad Max’s Interceptor (aka my dream car) is even cooler in person
– I want to cosplay as Judge Dredd (from Dredd) next year
– Predator 3D Blu-ray looks great and plays in 3D on non-3D TVs!
– The exhibit hall smells like farts…perpetual farts
There you go. Check out the pics below from my first and second days at San Diego Comic-Con. Leave a comment and let me know if you attended and what you thought of everything. I hope to see you guys there next year!
– Corey Stevenson aka “Geist01”